26 October 2010

look who has reached the big 3-0

Today Dan turns 30.  I can't believe we are reaching a point in our lives where we can say we are in our thirties.  It just seems...well, strange.  I mean think about it, 30-year-olds are supposed to be OLD.  Isn't that what you thought as a kid?

The truth is, Dan isn't old--at least it doesn't feel like it--now that we are here and he is embracing his third decade of life.

No matter how you view 30, I couldn't think of anyone I'd rather grow old with.  It's a part of why I love you, Dan.  Along with these thirty other reasons (in no particular order):

1.  That every night you will give me a back rub if I ask you to.

2.   That you aren't afraid to make a fool of yourself:

Dan the Wedding Singer


3.  That your nightly routine includes reading a devotional to Mabry and praying with her before you kiss her good night.

4.  That you are brave and also willing to lay down your life for your family and your country if necessary.

5.  That you set aside Sundays for church and then lunch at Moe's.

6.  How after almost seven years of marriage you still refer to me as "your girl."

7.  That you gave up the man cave so that Mabry could have a toy room and I could have a home office.

8.  That you thought the line, "Nobody puts Baby in a corner." was from Who Framed Roger Rabbit.  That still gets me laughing to tears when I think about it.

9.  That you are a very hard worker and good provider for your family.  I hope you are as proud of that as we are of you.

10.  Your ability to recall the most obscure actor/actress's name from movies you have seen years ago.  Even if you can't remember me asking you to turn out a light or take out the trash five seconds after I ask.

11.  The way you sit down to dinner every night, tell me it looks and smells good and then insist on knowing "What's in it?" before taking even one bite.

12.  That you watch FoxNews nightly and work yourself up into a crazed pitch about where this world is headed.

13.  That you have an undying love for all things Penn State football.  (Here is a secret: You are slowly but surely turning me into a fan too.)

14.  That you always insist we get to the movie theatre as early as possible so that we don't chance missing even one preview.

15.  That you try to nickname yourself by telling me to call you Dan-o.

16.  That no matter how hard you try, you can't identify 95% of classic/80s/90s rock singers and bands--but it doesn't ever stop you from trying to guess when I ask you, "Who is this?" when a song plays on the radio.

17.  Your willingness to weigh and tape yourself to participate in the Great Shape Up Competition of Winter 2010.

18.  Also, that you mock me and tell me you are going to own both the competition and me by the time it is over.  Only motivating me to kick your butt that much more.

19.   That you dream with me about all the places around the world we are going to see together someday.

20.  That you will dress up as Mabry's personal Prince Charmin' when she asks you to (and then dance with her):
Dancing with Cinderella


21.  Actually the fact that you are almost always willing to dance with your daughter (or me) if she (or I) ask you to--even when she was only three-weeks-old:


22.  You make me feel safe and you make me laugh and you believe in me, all of these are very important.

23.  That you really believed the lyric was, "Give me the Beach Boys and free my soul..."

24.  Your ability to never ever panic.  Ever.  (Unless you are watching FoxNews, of course.)

25.  Also, the fact that you alone can calm me down when one of my anxiety attacks comes on and I have worked myself up into nothing short of a hysterical frenzy.

26.  That you set a great example of what a husband and father should be so that someday (when she is 40) and Mabry starts to date she has a standard to measure the men in her life to.

27.  That you wake up every morning and ask me how I slept, even if you have to call me or send me an email to ask because you yourself were already up and at work hours before I got up to start the day.

28.  You don't mind spending every vacation day visiting our families.

29.  You love your family with everything you have.

30.  That when I think about the next thirty years I can't help but smile knowing we will be together.

4 comments:

  1. HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY DANO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THAT was a wonderful way to start my day! i laughed and laughed and was so touched by your love for each other!!!

    happy birthday dan-o! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY BIRTHDAY DAN! You are a great SIL and we are so proud of you. We love how much you love our Jessica and Mabry, what a good hubby and dad you are to them.

    Here's wishing you a very happy day today...Dan-O

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsay Fleming12/20/10, 8:22 PM

    No worries Dan, I thought it was the Beach Boys too.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover