04 May 2011

in which i get on my soapbox for a moment

I had originally planned to post something really fun and entertaining for my 600th post.  Instead, because of recent events, I am taking a moment to throw my two cents into the vast space of the World Wide Web.

(I apologize that this is about 48-hours overdue.  Mabry and I have been out of town for the last ten days and just got back a few hours ago.  This is the first chance since Sunday night that I have had to sit down at a computer.)

There are several significant dates in my life that will forever stand out to me.  Some dates are really personal like when I went into labor with Mabry.  Other dates can be shared with the world like September 11th.

The evening of May 1, 2011 is another one of those days that will be forever etched into my mind.  When I checked my Twitter account around 10pm and saw that the President was going to be making an announcement about an unknown subject I was very much intrigued.  I plopped myself down on my sister's couch in Pennsylvania, flipped on Fox News and made fun of Geraldo along with my Dad, Mom, sister and her fiance while waiting for Obama to finally come out and say what he had to say.

I'll be honest with you, never in a million years did I expect the announcement to be that Bin Laden had been found and killed.  But when the announcement came over the AP wire and the ticker at the bottom of the screen I had a lot of different emotions going on.  The first was shock and then surprise followed up very quickly by an overwhelming sense of patriotic pride.   

Then I turned to Facebook and Twitter to see what my friends and people across the country were saying and I immediately started to feel frustrated.  Over the last couple of days I keep thinking about some of the things that were posted.  I wanted to take a few minutes to address some of them now.

First there are the many who quoted Martin Luther King Jr, "I will mourn the loss of thousands of precious lives, but I will not rejoice in the death of one, not even an enemy.  Returning hate for hate multiplies hate, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars.  Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that.  Hate cannot drive out hate, only love can do that."  Can I just say that it is really hard not to want to high-five every single service member I see and tell them, "Great job!  We did it."  I say we because as a military wife, I feel that I am serving and sacrificing for my country right along with Dan.  I want to celebrate and be happy in the death of Bin Laden because his death is a victory that we have worked hard and sacrificed for.  We shouldn't be made to feel bad or looked down upon because we are viewing this occasion as a happy/positive time; something I feel is intended when you read this status and the comments posted below it.

Next are the numerous people who made comments and jokes about what they wished would have happened to Bin Laden's body.  As a Christian I believe that God has given our leaders the ability to carry out his justice here on earth.  By giving the order to go ahead with the raid, Obama did just that.  Our troops then carried out the reparation Bin Laden had coming to him.  Once he was dead I firmly believe that we did the right thing by washing his body and burying him at sea in accordance with Muslim law.  There is no need to desecrate the body.  All that will do is add further fuel to the fire of hatred brewing for those of us in the Western World by extremists and terrorists alike.  Once Bin Laden was gone from this life I know in my heart that God brought a punishment down upon him that none of us could even begin to fathom.

Probably the comments that have angered me the most are the ones where people say, "Now the troops can all come home!" Or, "Bring the troops home now!"  Seriously?!  It is incredibly naive to think that there wasn't a person who was groomed to step up and take the place of Bin Laden as soon as he died.  That there aren't other terrorist cells and organizations out there biding their time to take a swing at the proverbial bat.  The best way for our troops to continue to keep us safe is to keep the fighting out of our country.  One of the ways to do this is continue to have a military presence in these other countries.

To add to that last point, consider another important date I will never forget, when the US caught Saddam.  Operation Red Dawn happened to have been carried out on the day I married Dan.  We didn't find out about it until the next afternoon while eating lunch at a Mexican restaurant in Arkansas and the announcement was made on a little TV in the corner.  (Talk about a great wedding present!)  Even though Saddam had been captured my new husband still had to board a plane for Iraq less than two weeks later.  Dan went back to Iraq again for a second tour of duty just over a year and a half after that.  There was still a need for a military presence in that country.  This is no different.  Think about it, we still have bases in Germany even though the Nazi regime ended a long time ago.  Trust me, I would much rather have Dan home with me every single night watching Mabry grow up and being a more traditional family.  But that isn't a reasonable option.

One last thing before I get off my soap box.  I hope and pray that the American people use their brains when the time comes to elect the leader of this country next year.  Give credit where credit is due.  It is Obama's job to be the Commander-and-Chief of our armed forces.  As such it was his job to give the order to go ahead with the raid.  It was the troops who put their lives on the line and carried out the mission.  It took both sides to get the job done.  But this one victory does not a reason for re-election make.

If you made it to this point, thanks for taking the time to listen to me.  I promise to be back tomorrow with all kinds of fun pictures and silly Mabry stories.

2 comments:

  1. first, let me say that i am a big fan of soap boxes! :) i agreed w/ what you said. i had to laugh b/c as i was reading i realized that i "liked" that quote on someones facebook page w/o realizing what it was in regards to. i agree w/ that quote, but i don't feel HATRED toward osama bin ladin. i DO feel like his death is a victory though. like you said, there have been lots of sacrifices to accomplish this and i think it's ok to celebrate it. as far as what should have happened to his body after he was killed...i think it's wrong to want anything beyond burial...and kind of sick. the thing that stood out to me most about obama's announcement was how many times he made it seem like bin ladin's capture and death was all because of him! ha.
    i am so thankful for all of our soldiers! it's such a huge sacrifice for them AND their families. thank you!!! and thank you for sharing your thoughts about all these events. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, very well said. I have to admit, I posted that quote because I was sick of hearing all the "I'm so happy he's rotting in hell" comments. Of course I'm grateful he's dead and gone, but it doesn't make me happy to think that he'll spend eternity in hell. I didn't think of how the quote might sound to our military friends though, so I am sorry if it offended anyone.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover