15 July 2011

diamond head

Hallelujah it is Friday and we have all managed to survive another week.  I have to admit that there were days when I wasn't too sure that was going to be possible.

Today I thought I would share some photos from our hike up to the top of Diamond Head.  This hike is a mile and a half long challenge.  Even for the most athletic of people.

I think it is a Hawaiian thing to lure you in with a false sense of security.  The trail starts out paved and basically flat:
Diamond Head
It quickly turns into dirt and gravel and narrows:
Diamond Head
That is still OK, until it narrows even more and turns into the bumpy, completely uneven, concrete terrain that makes up the majority of the trail up the crater:
Diamond Head
All of this is before you hit the stairs.  In case you didn't click the Diamond Head link at the top of the page you are missing out on some photos of all the different staircases.  Including the one that is 99 steps and goes virtually straight up.  You reach that not too long after all this weaving:
Diamond Head
I'm not going to lie, I almost gave up on the three story spiral staircase.  Even telling Dan to go ahead without me.  It was a miserably hot climb and the sun was not forgiving which added to me trying to wimp out.  When we did make it to what I stupidly thought was the top it was such a relief.
Diamond Head
Notice the legs of the people behind Dan?  You crawl out of a little space, climb 54 more steps and are rewarded with some of the most spectacular views on the island.

If you look closely towards the horizon in this photo you can see another one of the islands.  I believe that one is part of Maui.
Diamond Head
Honolulu and Waikiki:
Diamond Head
The ocean really is that blue.  The only thing I did to this photo was add my watermark.  Seriously.
Diamond Head
This lighthouse was a total surprise.  Located right by the reefs at the base of the crater.  This has to be one of my favorite photos from the entire trip.
Diamond Head
Even though it was hard and at times anything but fun, it was an awesome feeling of accomplishment.  Especially when you think about the fact that we started out in that tiny parking lot located in the middle of the crater (towards the lower right part of the photo)...
Diamond Head
...and ended up all the way up here.
As seen from the parking lot copy

Also amazing were the number of elderly people and small children we passed along the way.  I kept telling Dan that had Mabry come we would have never made it.  She is too little to have done all that climbing and we certainly couldn't have carried her.

Do you all want to hear more about Hawaii?  I easily have another week's worth of photos and posts that I could share.  Or are you sick of hearing all about my vacation and just want me to move on?

2 comments:

  1. Keep going, I'm loving these posts!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carrie Belknap7/18/11, 3:00 PM

    More, more, more! Your photos and commentary of your trip are wonderful!

    Looking forward to seeing you guys soon!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover