26 September 2011

suessical weekend

Over the weekend Mabry, A, L and myself went to Charlotte for our Dr. Suess weekend.  The kids had been counting down since Mabry's birthday and they were excited.  Every five minutes we heard, "You have to hurry!  We are going to miss the play!!"

Our first stop was to Pike's Old Fashion Soda Shop for lunch.  Mabry enjoyed her strawberry milkshake and I loved my Coke float.  Reminded me of visiting my Grandma Wanda and drinking them in the her kitchen as a kid.
photo 7
photo 10
Then being the brave ladies that we are, A and I drove over to a park and ride so that we could take the kids on some public transit in the form of Charlotte's train system.  L is a huge fan of all things train related and Mabry has become a fan in recent months too.  This was a big deal for them and a total surprise.  They couldn't stop smiling.

Of course the excitement for the play was also pretty heavy on their minds.  With each stop the train made we heard, "Is this our stop?"  "Is this the play?"

We made it into town and to the theatre with plenty of time to spare.  The Children's Theatre of Charlotte is actually located inside their library.  It was a great theatre with not a bad seat in the place.  I highly, highly recommend it to anyone.  The play (Suessical the Musical) was a little over the kids' heads, but all in all I think that they enjoyed themselves.

During intermission I had made the mistake of suggesting that if they sat really still through the second half they would probably be able to meet Thing 1 and Thing 2.  The theatre that I used to go to as a kid always had a meet and greet and autograph signing in the lobby after a show.  Turns out that this theatre doesn't do that.  The kids were crushed at the end when everyone left the stage and we had to explain that the Things had left.  So I talked to an usher who pointed out the woman who runs the place.  I explained that I had two very sad Things of my own.  So she went back stage and found the two actresses who played Thing 1 and Thing 2.  They had already changed but agreed to put on their wigs and come out according to the manager woman.  We waited for a few minutes and when they finally came through the backstage door they were back in costume, which was sweet.  They talked to the kids and took a photo with all of us.  (Thing 1 had already started to take off her makeup you can see.)

From there it was another train ride back to the car.  Then we found some dinner and did a little shopping.  A quick trip to Pinkberry for some dessert and we were on our way to the hotel.  Amber had been to Pinkberry before but this was my first time.  Apparently it is the little things that excite me, like knowing David Beckham and Marcus Mumford have eaten there as well.
photo 1
We got to the hotel a little later than planned, but Mabes and L insisted that they still wanted to go in the pool.  So we changed and went down.  The pool area was really nice and the kids were impressed that you could swim inside and outside without having to get out of the water.  However, the hotel had heated the water to roughly the same temperature as the fires of hell.  It was almost make-you-sick-to-your-stomach-hot.  Of course Mabry, being tired and not a huge swimming fan in the first place, cried as soon as she got in.  After awhile she sort of got used to it and calmed down.
photo 2
photo 5
This video should give you a good idea of what it was like being in the pool with her:
Needless to say we ended up cutting our swim time short and headed up to the room to take baths and go to sleep.

We spent Sunday morning searching for a place to get breakfast and then wandering around IKEA before heading home.

It was a fun little weekend.  It was nice to spend time with good friends and to get away from the computer and the housework and everything else for 24 hours.  More than that, it was awesome to see my girlie so happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover