18 October 2011

let's have a little fun in the kitchen

Since  Dan has been gone I have made it a goal to try and learn at least two new recipes a month.  I really wanted to start branching out and giving us more options when it came to our meals.  Having the same things in rotation all the time was starting to become very boring and bland.

I did alright randomly picking things out of cookbooks or having something passed on from a friend.  However, when Pinterest was introduced into my life it seemed like an endless supply of awesome recipes had been dropped in my lap.

Today I thought I would share some of my favorites with you:

1.  Buffalo Chicken Roll Ups:  We love these.  They are quick, easy and only around 100 calories each.  Won Ton wrappers are usually found in the produce section.  It took a few unsuccessful searches and asking a worker to finally figure it out.  Also, these freeze easily in a Tupperware and can be popped out a few at a time, placed on some tin foil and heated up in the oven at 350 for about 10-15 minutes as a quick lunch.  I made some last month and just had the last of them for lunch yesterday and they were still good.

2.  Slow Cooker Sweet and Sour Chicken:  This is so simple to make and honestly you probably have all (or almost all) of the ingredients in your pantry right now.  Every time we have made it we have eaten it on bread like a sandwich with a side of cucumber dill salad or some other fresh crunchy veggies. However, I think it would be just as good over some noodles or rice on its own.

3.  Best French Toast Ever:  This recipe came from my cousin's blog.  I am not usually a fan of french toast but this stuff is fantastic.  Mabry and I probably eat it at least twice a month for dinner.

4.  Asiago Pasta:  One of the easiest meals to make.  Basically while you cook the pasta you throw all of the other ingredients (most of which I don't even measure) into a bowl.  Once the pasta is cooked you throw it in the bowl too, mix it up and serve.  Quick to make and quick to clean up and is really yummy.  This is Mabry's favorite dinner at the moment.

5.  Slow Cooker Chicken Tacos:  I was a little nervous that this would be too spicy for Mabry.  I myself am a huge fan of spicy foods and was rather excited about trying these tacos.  The salsa I used was homemade and had quite the kick to it, making me even more nervous.  So I didn't follow the recipe exactly and only put in half the can of chilies and drained the juices first.  However, the meat ended up being a little bland for my liking, Mabry ate every last bite of it up.   Next time I think we will add the whole can (undrained).  

6.  Lettuce Wraps:  This recipe is a knock off of P.F. Chang's lettuce wraps only with less oil.  The whole house smelled fantastic for a few days after we made this.  We ate these with nothing else and found them to be very filling.  Mabry liked hers without the lettuce and just ate it over some rice one night.  

7.  Pesto and Cheese Stuffed Shells:  Really good fresh and equally as good frozen.  Another cheap, quick and easy meal to make.

8.  Roasted Green Beans:  The best green beans I have ever eaten.  There is nothing else to say.  

9.  Better Than Steak Broccoli:  I have to be honest, I had really high hopes for this recipe.  Both because of the name and because it was similar to the way the roasted green beans were cooked.  There was too much lemon and it caused it to have somewhat of a bitter taste.  I also doubt I could get Dan to agree that this was better than steak.  I didn't think so and am certainly not the biggest steak fan out there.  I have made this a few times since and have either halved or completely cut out the lemon juice and have liked it better.

10.  Caramel Apple Spice:  Worth a stop at Starbucks to pick up the syrup.  Maybe you will luck out and have a nice barista who will give you a pump.  Mine was rather grouchy.  I did make a little adjustment to this recipe as well.  Instead of three pumps (6 tablespoons) I only put in half that amount in an effort to save myself 120 calories.  It still tasted like the one from Starbucks only not quite as hurt your teeth sweet.  Making it more enjoyable and a heck of a lot cheaper.

If you try any of these recipes let me know.  I am curious to know what you think of them.  Also, if you have something you would recommend me trying out let me know.  I would love to add new things to the list!  

1 comment:

  1. And we know how much Dan loves french toast. I think he and I could eat an entire loaf a week when yall housed us for a few weeks back in 2007.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover