07 December 2011

all i wanted was clean teeth

Koa 1
This is the story of a life changing trip to the dentist office.

Early Monday we all woke up and headed out to run some errands and stop at the dentist (for me).  We were running ahead of schedule and so rather than wait for 45 minutes in the waiting room at the dentist we were driving around.  Actually, we were trying to locate a Redbox that had a Playstation3 game Dan wanted to rent.

As we were driving down a very busy street I noticed a dog sitting on the side of the road.  I pointed it out to Dan who suggested that I turn around so we could try and catch it.  He was worried about it being hit and figured we could look at the collar (which we later discovered he didn't have) and call the owners.  As soon I pulled the car off to the side of the road and Dan got out the dog took off.  As in dart in front of oncoming traffic and rush across four lanes of major road and hightail it into the horizon.  Let's just say that there may have been a few moments where we all covered our eyes and braced ourselves for the impact.

It should be noted at this point Dan pretty much decided that chasing the dog would be useless and we should just continue down the road as planned.  I didn't want to have dead dog looming over my head for the next week.  So instead I drove slowly down the road looking to see if I could find him.

We found the dog roughly a half a mile up the road in the median.  I pulled as far off as I could into the median (which meant the car was basically sitting on the yellow line) and got out of the car.  Dan rolled down the passenger side window and stuck his hand out to try and grab ahold of the dog.  The dog who had walked over to the side of the car, sat down in the road and was at this point very scared.  No matter how much I tried to convince him to at least follow me away from the road to the other side of the car he wouldn't come.  

Finally a woman pulled up and said she was a vet tech and that she had a collar that we could put around the dog to lead him off the road.  While she was getting the collar I was standing by the dog waving people around us.

Once the dog was safely loaded into my car we didn't know what to do with him.  So we drove home and put him in the garage.  

I then went to my dental appointment and Dan got busy making calls to vets and shelters trying to find someone who could check for a microchip.  When I came home we took him to a local clinic and as it turns out he wasn't just missing a collar.  He also lacked a microchip or a tattoo (leg or ear) to identify him.  I made several more phone calls to local shelters in two counties and checked Craigslist to see if anyone had reported him missing.  No one had.

The vet determined he was not quite 2-years-old.  He was also severely dehydrated and malnourished.  Clearly he had to have been a one-dog-wolf-pack roaming the streets for some time.  

In the end we (meaning Dan and Mabes) decided God had put that dog on the side of the road for a reason.  A check up, shots, nail trimming and a bath later he was all ready for us to take home.  Dan is psyched and Mabes is over the moon about the dog.  I'm still trying to wrap my head around everything that happened and the fact that I am now a dog owner.

Koa 2

In case you are curious, we named him Koa (koh' (w)ah) which is Hawaiian for brave, bold and fearless.  All things he would have to be to run out into four lanes of traffic.  

Also, he is awesome with Mabes.  She pulled out her doctor's kit yesterday and he let her listen to his heartbeat, check his ears, and even give him a "shot."  He doesn't bark, sleeps through the night is already house trained.  

The biggest obstacles we have are that he wants to chew pillows and stuffed animals (more on that in my next post) and he refuses to lay down in the other room when we are trying to eat.  All things are habits we are trying to break.  Any advice would be appreciated.


Ps.  Since I missed a post yesterday and this one is so late going up, I am going to try and make it up to you by posting again a little later this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover