03 January 2012

losing my sanity one mama at a time

Anyone who knows our girlie knows that she can talk.  And talk.  And talk.  My sweet cousin, Avery, called Mabes a Talking Machine and I can't think of a more accurate description these days.  I have to be honest, after awhile it wears you down.  I am a person who needs at least a few moments silence each day.  I like to have the time to clear my mind and think without interruption.  

Lately it seems like the talking has been taken to a whole new level of out of control.  Mabes will ask a question over and over and then when she knows she is at the point of sending her father and I over the edge she stops, waits roughly 45 seconds and then rephrases the question.  

For instance the other night her and Dan were waiting in the car while I ran into a store.  This was their conversation:

Mabes: Where is Mama?
Dan: In the store.
Mabes: What is she doing?
Dan: Picking up a few things.
Mabes:  When is she coming back?
Dan: Soon.
Mabes: Where is Mama?
Dan: In the store.
Mabes: What is she doing?
Dan: Picking up a few things.
Mabes:  When is she coming back?
Dan: Soon.  I've already answered your questions, don't ask me again.

*45 second pause.*

Mabes:  You know, I don't see my Mama anywhere.  I wonder where she is?

Many of you are parents and I am sure are reading this and nodding your head, smirking and thinking that you have been there before.  Or perhaps you are going through it right now.  I am not writing about this because I want sympathy.  I am simply trying to illustrate an honest picture of where we are in our lives at this moment. 

After days and days of in-your-face-nonstop, "Mama Mama Mama" my sanity is just about shot.  I think I have cried and lost my temper more in the last two weeks than in the rest of 2011 combined.  

Do you ever see something on TV and get the feeling that maybe the director/producer/writer has a hidden camera in your house and that they use your family as inspiration?

This commercial came on TV the other night and when it was over Dan and I both looked at each other with stunned expressions and then burst out laughing.

Because sometimes when you are deep in the trenches with your battle buddy it is so much better to laugh than it is to cry.

1 comment:

  1. I've so been there. I normally get an "I love you, Mom!" at the end with laughter, then I kind of feel bad for snapping. :)

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover