12 January 2012

my picasso

I have seen this particular post many times over the last year or so.  From the minute I laid eyes on that awesome framed filled with artwork I was inspired.  My biggest obstacle was Mabes spent much of 2011 not all that interested in art.

Finally as the holidays came around she channeled her inner Picasso and got busy.

These are some of my favorites:

An ornament made during Dan's company Christmas party.  You can almost make out the Christmas tree she painted.  Also, note the liberal (really this photo doesn't do it justice) use of glitter.  Dan hates glitter.  He calls it the herpes of the craft world.  We have been finding specs of green glitter all over the place since this piece came home.
Mabes artwork #2
 She traced her foot and hands and made the reindeer.  I helped her use scissors (I'm trying to teach her this skill for you, Gloria!) to cut out of the Christmas tree.  Then using the scissors all by herself she created this brown-eyed "river."  It creeps me out more than a little.
Mabes artwork
I picked up this scratch kit after Christmas for $2 at Bed, Bath and Beyond.  The kit contains black pieces of paper, stencils and a long wooded stick.  Using the stick you can scratch at the paper revealing the colors underneath.  First Mabes used a stencil and then decided to branch out on her own.  She has a thing for tracing her hand.
Mabes artwork #4

This last one is my favorite.  This was a card she made me.  On the outside she wrote her name (unassisted!) and inside she drew a picture of the two of us.  So sweet, it made my day.
Mabes artwork #3
I can't wait for her to make more.  I have the perfect spot in the playroom already picked out for the frame I hope to make to display everything.

Have any of you done something similar and instead of keeping all of your child's artwork, taken pictures instead?  Did you frame the pictures?  Turn it into a book?  How did you decide what to keep, what to take photos of and what to trash?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover