30 January 2012

a real character

Two weeks later, I am finally getting around to posting about our trip to Walt Disney World.  Can I just say the whole lack of time management and/or a routine is totally kicking my butt??  I hope you enjoy this week as I share photos and stories from the trip.

When we decided to go to Disney one of the first things I did was create an autograph book for Mabes to take around to the parks with her.  I used some scrapbook paper and extra ribbon that I had lying around and my sewing machine to put it all together.  It wasn't the cutest thing in the world but would serve its purpose except for one thing...I underestimated the magical power of the autograph.

The book I made had 20 pages.  Once Mabes understood what getting an autograph meant she was a machine.  She asked every Disney employee she came in contact with to sign her book.  Needless to say we had to upgrade to one they sold in the park.
Characters 3
One of the great things about Disney is they are totally OK with you using your own camera to take photos.  They have staff (or cast members as they call them) with cameras to take photos all over the park.  However, if you have your camera out they will happily step aside let you take as many pictures as you want and then step in to take theirs.  I can't even begin to tell you how much I appreciated their willingness to let me do my own photo taking.

Over the course of four days Mabes managed to see everyone that she had hoped for and even a few she wasn't expecting.
Characters 2
Characters with Mabes 1
Characters 4
I have more photos that I could post, but I think you all get the idea.  The only character she was afraid to go near was Stitch.  She still wanted his autograph so Dan and I were brave and got it for her.
Stitch
Sidebar: How much fun would it be to work in the park, especially as one of the characters?  If I had my way I would be one of the stepsisters from Cinderella.  They really got into their roles and sneered and looked ugly in the photos they took.  They were hysterical to listen to as well.
Mabes and the Steps
I am so glad that we picked now to take Mabes to Disney.  While I wish that she had made the height requirement for more rides (she missed it by a mere two inches, more on that another day); she was the perfect age.  Everyone she met, everything she saw, everything she touched, everything she did was real. There were no cast members in her eyes; there were only real people like Ariel, Mr. Incredible (who caused her to literally shake with excitement over meeting), Lightning McQueen, Cinderella, Peter Pan and Tinkerbell, etc.  If you asked her, the castle in the middle of Magic Kingdom was a real castle where royal balls were held.

For Dan and I to watch her get so excited was magical in its own right.

2 comments:

  1. this whole post was amazing. i felt like i got to share the magic with you! was even sharing it with a friend who has a baby girl. i cannot wait until we get to take L on her own disney adventure - mabry is a lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I am super impressed with your cast member pictures. You guys got a lot. I love the step sister one too :) Great job.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover