28 March 2012

diy earring holder

I know that I haven't been on here much lately. I haven't had much to say. Unless of course you would like daily break downs of what messes I have had to clean, piles I have had to sort through and put away and errands run. Quite frankly I can't think of a more boring post.  "Today I woke up and threw in the first load of laundry before making breakfast..." However, I also don't like not getting on here to post. I feel like this is my little area to come and talk about whatever is on my mind and I tend to miss it when I am away for too long. Anyhow, I'm back now and that is all that matters.

Today I thought I would share with you a very quick and easy DIY project. For awhile now I have been wanting to create something for my earrings that went along with the necklace holders I had made last summer. Finally today I came up with a plan and was able to execute it for under $5.
photo 3
 First I went to Lowes and picked up a piece of 1 x 3 x 8 soft pine board and three packages of small eye screws (10 per pack).

Next I came home and cut the board into the lengths I needed.  I was rather specific on my sizes because I wanted it to be the same as some of the necklace boards I already had, but you can cut them to whatever you want.

Then I sanded down the edges and stained the boards.  Again, to match the necklace holders I used two different stains.
photo 1
Once the stain was dry I took a tiny drill bit and made holes down the center of each of the boards.  I did not measure the distance between the holes, I just eyed everything and ended up doing two different spacing styles on the boards. (Notice the larger gap between groups on the darker board in the photo below.)
photo 4
photo 5
Then I attached four medium eye screws we already had to the tops of the boards (two on each board) and this I did measure so that it would hang level on the wall.
photo-1
After that it was as simple as hammering a few nails into the wall and hanging up the earrings.  One pair of earrings easily fits in one screw.
photo 2
*The boards are so light weight that you could probably get away with hanging it up with 3M strips if you wanted to rather than nails and the larger eye screws.

1 comment:

  1. Oh that looks great! I like the spacing.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover