24 April 2012

eternal sunshine of the four-year-old mind

One night last month as we were driving home from dance class, listening to the radio and just relaxing a tiny voice in the backseat piped up with a question.  "Mama, am I going to die?"  

Not wanting to lie to Mabes and not wanting to scare her I opted for, "Well yes, you are going to die.  Everyone is going to die someday.  But it won't be for a very, very long time so you don't need to worry about it now."  This wasn't a good enough response and only lead to more questions, lengthy discussions about God and Heaven and lots of tears.  

Death is now a fairly regular conversation topic around here.

In Walmart a few weeks ago, we were standing behind a baby in a shopping cart.  Mabes took one look at the baby, sighed a heavy sigh and looked down at her feet, "I wish I was little like her."  I told her once she was little like that and now she was growing into my big girl, but she would always be my baby.  "No, Mama.  I wish I was little like her.  I'm getting old.  I'm dying."  

Let me just remind you, she is four-years-old.  Why death even popped up on her mental radar is beyond me.  Unfortunately, she is just like her Mama and worries herself sick and carries the weight of the world on her shoulders at all times.  

She is constantly singing and recently made up this song for her Borrower friends:
Yes, you heard that correctly, it does start out, "Borrowers, I am going to die someday but you'll die too."  

I look for it to reach the Top 40 in the coming weeks.

So tell me, have you gone through similar experiences with your children?  Is this an age thing?  Any advice?    

I don't want you think she is all doom and gloom all the time.  There are lots of happy moments around here too.  Can I just say I love listening to her sing?  Veggie Tales Sings the 80s is one of the best purchases we have made.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover