09 April 2012

our house: the kitchen

Welcome back to week two of our house tour!  Today I thought I would share with you the kitchen/dining room.  The open feeling of the kitchen and the island was a big selling point when we bought the house.  

This is the view from the doorway to the laundry room:
Kitchen #1

1.  The star used to be covered with mode podge and scrapbook paper.  I peeled it all off one evening and took a sander and spray paint to it and I am so glad I did.  I like the bright white contrast against the blue wall so much better.
2.  Originally Dan and I planned to build a farmhouse table shortly after he came back from his last deployment.  However, we came across this farmhouse style table and bench at World Market and it was exactly what he and I had been looking for and on sale.  So we purchased it instead.

Kitchen #4

1.  You can't really see it well in this photo, but I took some nails and bakers twine and created the word "EAT" on the wall.  
2.  This light was on clearance at Lowes for about $30 last year.  I like it so much better than the standard builders light that was in here originally.
3.  We kept the love note envelope up even though Valentine's Day is over.  I leave Mabes messages in here and special treats sometimes.  This is also how she communicates with her Borrowers.
4.  All the plates on the wall were finds at Target, Goodwill, and TJ Maxx.  The two blue ones are plastic.

Kitchen #3

1.  I made some bunting for above the chalkboard wall because you can't help but smile when you see something cheerful.  
2.  This sweet tea sign came from this etsy shop here.  The guy owns the shop is really nice and does a great job.  If you stop over let him know I sent you.  (He doesn't know I am endorsing his shop here.)
3.  I gave an old brown metal frame a face lift.  I wish I could put stripes on everything.
4.  On top of the cupboard I have some fun vintage items.  You can't see it but there is an old typewriter up in the one corner, and then over near the number four is an antique radio and an old Fischer Price camera.  All of which are odes to some of my loves: writing/journalism, being a DJ on the radio in college and of course photography.
5.  This chalkboard wall is the central place for keeping my sanity.  How we ever lived in a house without one before is beyond me.  
6.  The world's most narrow pantry--created for reasons known only to our builder, who probably only eats at restaurants.

This final view is looking back towards the laundry room:
Kitchen #2
1  The little vases on the table were painted by Dan and I.  Our anniversary this year was pottery and we always try to do a traditional gift.  The glass candlestick holders are from my sister for my birthday (from CB2) and the hurricanes are filled with random things like wine corks or dried blue flowers.
2.  The small black cupboard came from Home Goods.  It used to be near the front door, but we had to switch things around after we brought home our very large new table.
3.  Aside from having a long farmhouse table with a bench, I knew I really wanted old metal chairs to go along with our dining room set.  These chairs were another World Market find and a great deal compared to some of the other places I had been looking at and saving up for.  The only thing I wish I could find are cushions for the seats.  Nothing has either fit or been the look I want.  I may end up sewing my own if I can ever find the time.

The wall color in the kitchen is: Aqua Smoke from Olympic.  

If you have any questions about anything else you have seen in the photos, let me know in the comments. I will try to answer your questions as quickly as I can.  Have a wonderful Monday!

1 comment:

Pin It button on image hover