27 July 2012

nursery update

Happy Friday!  I can't even begin to tell you how glad I am for the weekend to be just around the corner.  There were points in this week when I thought it would never end.  We are also excited that the Olympics start tonight.  I'll be the first to admit that I am not a big sports fanatic, but I do like a good opening ceremony.  Tonight we are planning to let Mabes stay up for at least part of the ceremony.  We figure she will love the spectacle.

Today I thought I would show you some of the work I have been doing in the nursery.  With Mabes the theme in the nursery was fairy tales and it took me a little while to decide how to decorate her room and the color scheme.  This time, I had already decided on a theme a long time ago.  So far it is coming together just as I imagined.

The theme for Burrito's nursery is Up.  I like the bright and cheerful colors that it allows for.  I love the love story of Carl and Ellie and Ellie's spunk and attitude (something I hope Burrito has a bit of).  Also, we can relate to their story of struggling to have a baby.  Everything about this theme just fit.
Nursery Dresser:Mirror

I know you all have already seen and heard the story of The Big Red.  Since that post I have hung up a mirror above the dresser.  It is the same mirror  that we had used in Mabes' room when we first moved into the house.  The only problem was that the mirror frame and the wall color we painted the nursery were almost identical and it seemed to get lost; especially over such a commanding piece like Red.  So I bought a few pieces of cheap wood in different widths at Lowes and cut them down to size, stained them and attached them with brackets to use as a backdrop for the mirror.  I am really pleased with how it turned out.  (I stuck the props from our It's a Girl! photo shoot behind the mirror.)
Nursery Diaper Cart
Our sweet friends Dana, Jason and Baby Norah gave us this cute aqua cart from IKEA to use for all of our diapering stuff.  I never used a changing table with Mabes and don't intend to this time around either.  I find it just as easy to change the baby on a water proof pad either in the crib, on the floor or really wherever I am.  Right now a lot of our cloth diaper stuff is shoved into the wet bag you see on the one shelf.
Nursery Frames
I bought the frames above the crib from Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago when they were 50% off.  I love their whimsical shapes and colors.  Then I used my Cameo to cut out silhouettes I had created of Kevin, the house and balloons, and Carl.  The only thing I am not sure I like is the color of the yellow frame.  I feel like it should be brighter.  I'm just not sure if I am brave enough to try and paint it and end up ruining the frame.
Nursery Bookshelf
The bookshelf had been in Mabes' bedroom.  To make room since we to combined her playroom and bedroom we moved the books into the nursery.  I bought the wire basket on the one shelf from TJ Maxx but have yet to decide what to put in it.  So for now it is holding the curtains I need to put up and some stuffed toys that I am not sure what to do with.

As for the crib bedding I wasn't exactly sure what I wanted.  I looked online and in stores a few times but nothing had that bright and colorful and sort of vintage feel I wanted.  Finally I stumbled across these two tutorials for a crib bumper and box pleated crib skirt and was inspired.  On our first trip to Goodwill we found a perfect sized bumper that was in great condition.  I bought it for $1.19 and brought it home, washed it and then took a seam ripper to it.  The material all came from JoAnns.  I just wondered up and down the aisles browsing at different bolts of fabric and played mix and match with Mabes until I figured out the perfect combo.
Nursery Bedding
Yesterday afternoon I set to work sewing it all together.  It took a lot longer than I had originally anticipated, but in the end I think it was worth it.  The only thing I wish I had done was to measure where the ties needed to go better.  I didn't match them up as well as I had originally thought with the corners of the crib, but it works and I am happy and frankly too lazy to seam rip it and reassemble.  I've apparently taken the words of Tim Gunn to heart and have found a way to "make it work."

I still need to work on the curtain rod, figuring out what to put on the huge blank wall the crib and diaper cart are on and a few other little things for the room.  I also have an amazing quilting guru or two working on a really awesome quilt for the crib.  I can't wait to show that off once it is done.

Well I just heard Mabes wake up from her nap, looks like a good time to stop writing and start playing. Hope everyone has a great weekend!

1 comment:

  1. I love it all Jess but my favorite is the frames. They are perfect for a nursery.
    amb

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover