16 October 2012

if you want to act like a turd, go lay in the yard

Disclaimer:  I am a Mama who is ready to pull every hair out of my head in frustration.  However, I don't really want to rock the bald look and instead am choosing to vent here.  Be forewarned that the following is not pretty.

Internets, I love my daughter very much but currently, I don't like her at all.  How is that for being a bad mother?  At the moment it is the truth and I can't help feeling the way I do.  In all fairness, I am sure that the amount of hormones ransacking my body as well as the fact that I have been a single parent for the last three weeks aren't helping the situation.
Attitude 1
You see I believe that Mabes has become possessed by a demon.  That is the only explanation I can come up with to explain why the once easy going, obedient little girl we shared our lives with has been replaced with a hitting, pushing, back talking, sneaky, attitude giving monster.

If I have heard, "I don't want to" or "I am a grown up" once I have heard it six dozen times a day, every day for the last week anytime I ask her to do something.

Any conversation I have is met with interruptions from her as if she is included in the ADULT conversation.  Or I am grilled about who I was just on the phone with, why did I say such and such, etc.

She hit a little girl at school and pushed one of her friends who was over here playing.  We have never had a problem with her laying hands on anyone before.

She threatened to call 911 and tell the police I was being mean to her.

She is only five-years-old and we have already had to ground her.  As in no TV for an entire week.  Period.  The worst part, it didn't really seem to phase her much when we told her.  I am hoping that in a day or two when she really wants to watch an episode of Doc McStuffins it starts to hurt a little.

Seriously, this kid is something else.
Attitude 3
I had a long talk with both my parents and with Dan tonight.  We all agreed that some of this sounded very familiar and the apple did not land far from the tree.  However, we also agreed that there was no way I was this much of a turd at five-years-old.  People aren't kidding when they say that generations are "growing up" faster and faster.  We brainstormed some ideas for how to exorcise the demons.  I also apologized profusely to my parents for everything I put them through.  It is a wonder that my adolescent years didn't land one of us in prison.  No joke.

One of the places my parents, Dan and I all agree that she is getting this attitude, tone of voice and all around nasty streak from is school.  I am planning to pop in one morning this week and just observe.  I want to see if it is a peer influence, a teacher influence, a little bit of everything, or if it is all Mabes.  She may find by the end of the week she is going to be home schooled.

Other possibilities that haven't been ruled out include: It is just a phase.  She is acting out because of all the changes that have happened and continue to happen in the last few months (starting school, Dan being away, a new baby who is almost here, a Mama who can't do as much as she used to, etc.).
Attitude 2
All I know is I need some divine intervention.  I need to find a way to get through to her that the way she is acting towards me and other people is not OK.  To make her understand that she is not a grown up and that Dan and I are the boss, not her.  Basically I feel like I need to break her stubborn will without breaking her spirit.

Any ideas?  Anyone?  Bueller?

Ps.  All of these photos were taken earlier today after dance class.  I asked her if she would smile nice so that I could have a good picture to send her Daddy.  She gave me sass and attitude.  Heaven help me.

1 comment:

  1. I had to laugh at this, Jess... I have been through hell and back with Nina. She's EIGHT. The things that children today are exposed to at school: let's just say I strongly feel some of the parents are still in need of parenting. Needless to say, I try my darnedest to remain firm, fair, and consistent...and not become as bald as my husband. You aren't the only one going through this. Hopefully with some guidance, the real Mabes will return! Nina still has her moments, but for the most part, it gets better. Hang in there! Xoxoxo!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover