07 November 2012

the dog and pony show that is getting medical attention

Mabes has been one sick little girl for the last few weeks.  What started as a runny nose has led to basically the plague.
photo 1
Sunday she had to go to the ER because her eyes were so red, swollen and pussy.  She was given a diagnosis of pink eye in both eyes.  The doctors gave us some drops that we have to put in several times a day to help her out.
photo 5
Monday she stayed home from school and spent much of the day lounging on the couch and hanging out with me.  Did I mention we had to make a run to the doctor for me in the morning because she graciously decided to share the pink eye despite my best efforts to Lysol every surface in the house?  In the afternoon she came up to the office crying because her ear hurt.  I tried an old home remedy and had her lay back down on the couch hoping that she would start to feel a little better.  Things only got worse as she began to cry from the pain and I noticed her ear was really red.

This is where everything took a turn from bad to really bad.

I called our doctor's office and ended up on hold waiting to talk to an advice nurse.  Finally after over 30 minutes of sitting on hold I hung up.  Good thing I did.  Because my next step was to call our insurance company to try and get a referral to an Urgent Care clinic.  I found out from them that once our clinic closes for the day they just let you remain on hold UNTIL THE NEXT MORNING.  Basically I wasted at least 20 minutes just sitting there listening to a recording for nothing.  I had to talk to several people from the insurance company before I was given the go ahead to take her in to a clinic that was across town.

We got in the car and took off.  My thought was this will take about an hour, we will come home have dinner and just snuggle before bedtime.  Clearly I must have been high on eye drops because that was not to be.
photo 2
(A pen and the paper that they use to cover the exam table is a great way to pass the time when you are five-years-old.  Having a magazine under the paper helped with not having the pen push through the paper.)

Almost three hours of waiting in the Urgent Care clinic went by before we were seen.  The doctor ended up diagnosing her with two ear infections, an upper respiratory infection and fifths disease.  This was all on top of the double pink eye situation we had going on.  Poor Mabes must have been ready to have someone chop her head off.  No wonder she was so miserable.  The doctor said that she would send the prescription to the Rite Aid near our house and that by the time we got there it would be ready.

By the time we reached the Rite Aid pharmacy counter it was 8:50pm.  The pharmacist told me that the prescription had been called into the wrong store.  They were able to pull it up to fill it, but she wasn't going to because they were closing in ten minutes.  My first reaction was to point out that when you have something filled at Walmart you can drop off the prescription and come back 10-15 minutes later to pick it up.  Why couldn't she do that for me now?  Was it really a problem to possibly have to spend five extra minutes?

Y'all I am 8 months pregnant, hormonal, very tired and have a sick kiddo on my hands.  It was late at night I had spent hours in and out of medical waiting rooms my patience was wearing thin.  I needed this woman to show a little compassion, a little customer service and to just do her job.

She refused.

So I started to cry.  (Thanks hormones!)

She laughed at me.

She told me that if I wanted I could go to the other store where it was originally called in.  Only it was on the other side of town and closed at the same time this store did.  When I pointed that out to her she shrugged and told me, "Oh well.  I guess you will have to wait until the morning."

I was pretty upset, but I left and tried to call the Urgent Care to see if they could please put the prescription in some place else.  Only they had closed and their phones were being answered by an answering service.  I rushed back to the clinic hoping and praying that the doctor would still be there finishing up with patients.  Unfortunately she had just left and all that remained was a receptionist who was closing up for the night.  I explained the situation and she sympathized but had no access to do anything to help.  She suggested that I go to the ER and see if they could maybe help me out.
photo 3
Not knowing what else to do I drove up to the ER for the second night in a row.  We checked in and I explained the situation to the triage nurse.  I knew it was a long shot but I was hoping that they would take pity on me and my clearly in pain miserable little girl and just sort of fast lane us through the whole process since we already knew what the problem was.

Nope.  We were told to go sit in the waiting room and wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.

Just as I was about to give up, go home to try and to self remedy the situation for the night they called us back.  Where we were put in a room to wait.

And wait.

And wait.

And wait.
photo 4
After another hour or so the doctor came in agreed with the diagnosis of fifths disease.  Checked the girlie's ears and said he wasn't sure if they were infected or not and refused to prescribe anything.  He also wanted her chest thing to just clear out on its own.  I explained to him that while I agreed with not pumping her full of unnecessary antibiotics, she was clearly in pain and that the cough thing in particular had been going on for over two weeks.  Surely there was something that he could give her to help dry it out and give her some relief.  He relented and agreed to prescribe some Zyrtec.  Finally a victory.

I then asked if any of this was a danger to the little Burrito growing in my belly.  Turns out that while fifths disease is a fairly mild problem in little kids, it can be really bad in a small percentage of unborn babies.  One major factor in keeping the baby safe is if the mother is immune.  Which is something I didn't know if I was or not.  I asked if we could do a test to find out.  He told me that since Mabes was the patient and not me I would have to go back out, take a number, be seen by a triage nurse and then wait in the waiting room until I could be seen by a doctor.

Yep, you read that right.

I did the only thing I knew how to do in that moment.  Cry.

We signed the discharge paperwork, picked up her prescription and left.  I called Dan and he and I both agreed that chances were very slim that Burrito was in any type of danger and that waiting another few hours until sunrise (did I mention by this point it was almost 2am?) to call my OB probably wouldn't hurt.

In the morning I called the OB and they said that chances were extremely slim that anything was wrong and that we could just wait to do the blood test when I go for my already scheduled appointment at the end of the week.  Here is hoping I am immune.

Praying my girlies both have clean bills of health by the end of the week.

**Update:  Late last night Mabes threw up and then spiked a fever of 102.  She is home from school for the third day in a row and will probably remain out all week.  The fever has gone down, her eyes seem much better but we will continue the eye drops through Sunday as instructed.  Her ears are still bothering her, she has a terrible cough and her face is raw from all the nose blowing.  Slowly but surely we are going to get her better come hell or high water.  

2 comments:

  1. That first picture just broke her Gamma's heart. Feel better my little noodle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. I'm so sorry you had to jump through all those hoops. Poor Mabes. I'm tired for you. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover