26 February 2013

snow day

Growing up near the Great Lakes I remember there being snow every winter.

Lots of snow.

Snow everywhere, all of the time.

I was not a big fan of snow.

I mean sure, it was cozy to be inside drinking hot chocolate, curled up on the couch reading a good book or watching a movie while the snow came down.  Going outside and sled riding down the hill next to our house or throwing snowballs was great from time to time.

Mainly though I found it to be cold, wet, and gross.  I couldn't wait for the day I could pack my bags, head south and never have to see that stuff again.

Now that we live in the south I find myself missing snow.

Sigh.  The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it?

I think I miss it because it has been years since Dan and I have seen snow.  YEARS.  Somehow winter just isn't winter without at least one snowfall.

We figured this winter would be much like the last few, sans snow.  So imagine our delight when last Saturday we looked out the window and discovered snow coming down.  Even better it was Harlow's first snow and Dan was there to share in it with her!  
Snow Day 2
We hurried up and put the baby in her gutted out teddy bear snowsuit (a hand-me-down from her big Sissy) to take some pictures.  She slept through all of it showing complete indifference to the winter wonderland falling down around her.  
Snow Day 1a
Mabes was excited and wanted photos with her Daddy on the deck in the snow too.  Then she demanded that we let her go outside and play.  Thank goodness we had snow pants from a trip to PA a few years ago that still fit her hanging in the closet.  
photo 1
After all, according to Mabes it was the best day ever because...snow!





2 comments:

  1. I love how she had big ideas of sled riding and making a snowman in that little bit of snow...so cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, Mabes is getting so BIG! She looks huge in Dan's arms! Yay for you all getting snow. Wish we did. It is raining as I type. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover